At the beginning of each new year, I try to make sure I carve out some time to prepare and plan for the coming 12 months. Between lists of things to focus on, places to go, and goals to try to accomplish, it can be overwhelming and sometimes even a little confusing.
But a few years ago, someone broke it down for me into a way that was manageable and made sense, and I thought that, as we head into 2016 together, I would share some of my favorite tips on goal setting! Here we go:
1. Dream BIG! -- Go after those things you've always wanted to do; the only thing stopping you is yourself.
2. Baby steps are key! -- Set long-term goals for the year, and then break it down into small steps to accomplish each month in order to help you reach that goal.
3. Write it down! -- On paper, on purpose. If you write down your goals, you can't forget them, plus then you can keep track of your progress throughout the year.
4. Get specific! -- I have found that it is best to break goals down into seven categories:
Career / School
This helps you to plan specific goals within the different areas of your life.
5. Give it a number! -- You want to read more books this year? How many? You want to exercise more? How much per week? Giving your goals a number helps you to actually act on them.
6. Grace upon grace! -- It's okay if you don't get it all done, or you have to let go of a goal at some point. There is no shame in realizing your plate is too full and something just has to go. Give yourself grace.
You can do this, I know you can. Here's to killing it in 2016!
If you're looking for something simple to help jumpstart your goal planning for the year, check out #GOALsheets, a template I created for dreaming big and getting things done!
Meet the Writer: Gennean
Gennean is self-proclaimed "hot mess" who loves a good cup of coffee & a good adventure. Currently living in Nashville, Gennean has been blogging for over five years on life & faith, and is honored to be a contributing writer on the Unveiled blog.